Categorized | Featured, News, Press Release

Auto Windscreens falls into administration: MP Update

Auto Windscreens falls into administration: MP Update

As the details of the Auto Windscreens situation unravelled today, Toby Perkins MP has been central to talks designed to drive forward any potential way forward for the Chesterfield based business and its 1100 employees of the company, 400 of which live in Chesterfield.

Mr. Perkins spoke to Chris Harrington of the administrators, Deloitte LLP, who have received upwards of 70 expressions of interest in acquiring the company. Further conversations are set to take place between the MP and the international accountants as the long term future of Auto Windscreens requires significant investment to enable it to move forward with confidence.

Mr. Harrington also explained that staff are currently left ‘in limbo’ with no guarantee of payment for work done in February or of their future employment status, and confirmed that he would take every action to end the uncertainty.

Toby has met with Business Minister Mark Prisk to ask the government to meet with him and the administrators to identify any potential avenues that could rescue the firm. Toby also raised the issue on the floor of the House of Commons.

Mr. Prisk has pledged to respond with urgency to the request to consider government support.

Toby also asked UNITE the Union, who represent many of the employees of Auto Windscreens, to assess whether there is any possibility of a staff led takeover.

Mr. Perkins said:-

“I am working round the clock, as are the administrators and trade unions to ensure that no stone is left unturned in the efforts taken to save these 1,100 jobs.

I will continue to demand that all potential avenues are explored, including staff takeovers and outsider investment deals. The Government should now step up and support the 1100 employees of Auto Windscreens, and the town of Chesterfield, which is already feeling the impact of the cuts to public sector jobs”.

Members of staff from Auto Windscreens can keep up to date with the latest developments by viewing www.tobyperkins.org.uk . Or by contacting the constituency office with regard to any concerns not answered online.

17 Responses to “Auto Windscreens falls into administration: MP Update”

1. Kerry Cunningham-Ravey says:

Toby, on behalf of all AW staff we can not thank you enough for fighting our corner, we are passionate about this business that we have put heart and sould into for many many years between us, and will not let it go. So from us all Thank you for all your efforts. Kind regards Kerry Cunningham on Behalf of all the amazing AW staff.

2. Donna gresswell says:

Thank you for believing in us, and fighting to save the job so many of us love. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

3. Jimmy b says:

Thanks so much mr Toby Perkins, I and may others appreciate your help and stand behind you with support in resuceing our jobs and this great company, regards, A tech,

4. kate w says:

It was very moving to read this update and can only mirror what has already been said by other members of Aw. We are a Unique company simply because we care and appreciate the efforts that are being made to try and keep our comany alive. Thank you

5. Val Bothamley says:

Mr Perkins on Monday the 14th feb valentines day at 16.00 which is a day of love ,we was told that auto windscreens had gone into administration and it hurt me to look at all my colleuges faces ,people i had worked with for a few years were devastaed and shocked our world had been turned upside down it felt more like the valentines day massacre .I am coming to the end of my working life but all those people that care about A/W were stood there in front of me feeling hurt and abandoned my heart broke for them and what i would like to say to you is THANK YOU for trying to help us and giving us all that glimmer of hope which we all pray will turn into the brightest light for all of us
    love val

6. Toby Perkins says:

Thanks so much to everyone who is contacting us via the website, emails, Facebook and Twitter. There is amazing passion and strength of feeling from so many at Auto Windscreens. Heard late last night from the Minister that he will be asking his officials to speak to the administrator and see what can be done. I will try and ask David Cameron about this in Prime Minister’s Questions today, Auto Windscreens is too important to Chesterfield and to the industry to be allowed to just disappear without a trace.

7. Linda H says:

I would also like to add my thanks and appreciation for your efforts on our behalf. AW has a hardworking, committed workforce who really care about this company and we’re ready to take on any new challenge. We haven’t given up yet! Good Luck to everyone.

8. Catie says:

Thank you so much for this. I echo what everyone has already said. I have not been with AW for as long as some people, but I can honestly say, hand on heart, that this company and my job there, is the first one where I can be myself and I feel at home. I have made friends at AW and it would be a shame to see all this disappear. So once again, thank you Toby for fighting our corner.

9. Val Bothamley says:

Mr Perkins pls remember there are other A/W staff up and down britain and are all our collegues even if they dont live in chesterfield we all still come has a package thanks

10. richard wilson says:

i would just like to say a big thank you from all at autowindscreens for taking this fight to the top. ive been with the company now for 7 years and it would be very sad to see it disapear this way. lets hope the company will celebrate its 40th birhday this.

many thanks. technicion, birmingham.

11. Lee tomlin says:

A big thank you from me too, couldn’t possibly show all my appreciation and gratitude on here in writing as there not a box big enough.
    I don’t you think you could find a company as tight as AW.
    To have a member of parliament sticking his neck out makes me proud to be from Chesterfield.
    Also not to mention the staff we have up and down the uk that have stuck by us through thick and thin that are in the same boat as us.
    We all passionate because AW has soooo much more to give and can make millions with a little TLC.
    AW contact centre

12. Alex Baldock says:

A huge thank you for your time, dedication and effort in fighting for our company which has so much positivity and value to grow back to how it should be again.

We have all stuck together during this tough time and words cannot explain how truely grateful all of us are at the support you have given.

The fact that you have kept us so informed on here has given us much more strength to get a successful outcome. It’s a pleasure to work with so many great ppl at AW and long may that continue!

13. Alex Baldock says:

14. Carol says:

The messages on here have made me cry as much as I did at 4pm on the 14th Februay 2011.The people I work with at AW are caring and passionate people. Many tears have been shed over the past few days, but not one person has mentioned to me their personal loss of pay etc. All you hear from these people is they may lose their beloved Auto Windscreens, the Company which has been built up through love, care and commitment.

I have worked for the Company for less than five years but I can assure you the people within that Company are a very close family.

15. Gemma Causer says:

I would like to reiterate what all my colleagues have written before me, and thank you Mr Perkins for all your compassion and dedication towards AW and it’s staff. You will never find a more loyal, hard working and friendly bunch of people, and we will be forever grateful to you no matter what the outcome of this horrible affair
    Gemma Causer, Contact Centre Agent, Chesterfield

16. Val Bothamley says:

thankyou for taking the time to come and speak to us today 18/02/2011 it was much appreciated

17. Alan says:

It’s been a week since any form of updates?

Does anyone know what’s going on?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

Welcome

I am Toby Perkins, Labour's Member of Parliament for Chesterfield. If you would like to get in touch with me, my office is open and can be reached by phone on 01246 386 286. I also hold regular surgeries so that constituents can meet me and I can take up their concerns. If you would like to make an appointment then please do contact my office. Thank you for visiting.

Contact Toby

Tel: 01246 386286
Email: toby.perkins.mp@parliament.uk
Post: 113 Saltergate, Chesterfield, S40 1NF

Surgeries

I hold regular surgeries for my constituents.
Please call 01246 386286 or email toby.perkins.mp@parliament.uk to make a booking.

Total Politics Top 30 MP Blog