My constituency office staff have returned to the office, but I am asking constituents not to turn up at the office unannounced. We will continue to support people via Zoom and telephone calls where possible, but face-to-face meetings can be arranged by appointment. Anyone who needs to arrange to see me or my staff should call the office and book an appointment with my team. This will help us ensure social distancing is maintained in the office and allow for cleaning before and after appointments.
My job in Westminster is to speak up for my constituents in the House of Commons, to scrutinise laws and to attend Parliamentary debates and committees.
I also have a role locally, supporting local people and community groups, raising and publicising local issues.
I can provide advice on certain matters (not on legal matters or immigration issues) and I can make representations on constituent’s behalf. I am not in charge of Chesterfield Borough Council or Derbyshire County Council and I am unable to overrule decisions that have been made but I can gain clarity on decisions and challenge agencies when processes have not been followed correctly.
As your local MP, I can help constituents on a range of issues; such as NHS health services – like hospitals and doctors, tax and national insurance, benefits, pensions and immigration.
Unfortunately, there are some things I am unable to do:
- I cannot interfere with decisions made by the courts.
- I cannot help with legal matters.
- There are many issues which are the responsibility of Chesterfield Borough Council and Derbyshire County Council , such as council tax, bin collections, housing issues, social services, schools and roads and paths. I am able to make representations on your behalf but it may be that your local councillor is better placed to assist in the first instance.
- Your can find your Chesterfield Borough Councillor here
- You can find your Derbyshire County Councillor here
Below are the links to other useful agencies in Chesterfield who you may wish to contact regarding certain issues